Release of 2012 Cervaro della Sala Chardonnay! And Last of the 2005 Soldera Pegasos!
December 22, 2014
A Note from Sergio
The story behind Antinori's Castello della Sala Cervaro is that it came about by accident. In the late 1970s, Piero Antinori had this vision of creating an Italian version of white Burgundy at his estate in Umbria, but he and his team couldn't quite capture his vision. By the mid-1980s, this team included a young Umbrian enologist named Renzo Cotarella, and Antinori, Cotarella and the rest were ready to give up on the project. In exasperation, they shut the door to the cellar where the wine was fermenting, allowing the temperature to rise slightly. This induced malolactic fermentation and created this wine's creamy mouth-feel, which satisfied Antinori and made Cotarella happy. The rest, as they say, was history.
Today, we're delighted to present the newest release of Castello della Sala Cervaro Chardonnay, the 2012. It's lush but it's restrained, and the tension between those two opposites makes it a very compelling wine. I love this wine in every vintage, but the '12 is very seductive.
Along with this new release, I'm very pleased to present another wine that came about by accident, but this one is an old favorite. Today's offer of Gianfranco Soldera's 2005 Pegasos is likely the last we'll ever see of it, making this offer all the more special. Pegasos came about when Soldera saw that one barrel of wine was maturing differently, faster, than all the others, so he bottled it sooner, and he made this incredible wine that's neither a Rosso di Montalcino nor a Brunello. Like the winged horse that gives the wine its name, it's a mythical being. If you're serious about Italian wines, you do not want to miss this last allocation. It's perfect, but soon it will be gone.
Today's Featured Sections Include:
1. Spotlight on Excellence: Ripe, Balanced, Delicious '12 Cervaro della Sala Chardonnay
Holiday Gift Guide:
Celebrate the Holiday Season with the IWM Gift Guide!
3. Our Experts Suggest: Two Recent Tuscan Favorites
4. Only At IWM: The Last of Collector Great, '05 Soldera Pegasos
5. Wine Events: Champagne, Global Sparklers & Festive Wines
SPOTLIGHT ON EXCELLENCE
BEST PRICE IN THE US!
Last week, we were delighted to present the 2009 and 2010 vintages of Antinori Cervaro della Sala Chardonnay; today, we are very happy to announce the release of the 2012 bottling. It's a rich, opulent, textured bottle that's also fresh and lively. Always one of our very favorite Italian whites, the '12 Cervaro della Sala complements its stone and citrus fruits with a lovely saline minerality, putting its notes of toasted hazelnuts, yellow herbs, and tropical fruit at the forefront. It's simply delicious, and we're offering this new release at the BEST PRICE in the States.
While the world-famous Antinori estate is headquartered in the heart of Chianti Classico, the ancient winemaking family has long had roots in Umbria. Antinori founded its Umbrian estate, Castello della Sala, located where Umbria abuts Toscana in the northwest corner of Orvieto in 1985, although the extended family had bought the land in 1940. These 1,300 acres (about 400 under vine) are under the guidance of Marchese Piero Antinori, his three daughters, and renowned enologist Renzo Cotarella, an Umbrian native.
Umbria's warm 2012 vintage kept Cotarella and his team on their feet, but mindful observation and lots of experience allowed them to pick the Chardonnay and Grechetto at an optimal time, making for a wine that's lush yet fresh, intense yet delineated, juicy yet savory--and absolutely balanced. Sporting soils of clay, volcanic sediment and Pliocene fossils, the rolling land at Castello della Sala, named after its beautiful medieval fortress, imparts a mineral inflection to its wines, and Antinori's careful winemaking puts this Umbrian terroir front and center. Antinori ferments the component grapes separately, fermenting the Chardonnay in barrel for about 18 days, followed by aging on lees for six months to complete the malolactic fermentation, and the Grechetto fermented and aged in stainless steel; after fermentation, the grapes were blended and aged before bottling.
The child of a warm growing season, the 2012 Cervaro della Sala offers complexity, a shimmering, kaleidoscopic palate and great vibrancy. A lovely, textured winter white, this Antinori bottling is the perfect wine to enjoy all year long.
Order Your Holiday Gifts Today
It's the most wonderful time of the year, holiday season, and to celebrate it in style, we're delighted to present the IWM 2014 Holiday Gift Guide! Whether you're looking to give your beloved wine-lovers treasured single bottles, thrilling bottle pairs, tasty triples, sumptuous half cases or expansive full collections, this Gift Guide will help you make this 2014 holiday season memorable--and delicious. In this Gift Guide, available both online and as a PDF to download, you'll find a wine for every feast, party, and quiet meal, as well as for all wine-lovers, from newbie to connoisseur. But don't hesitate to ask one of our portfolio managers for help if you need it--or go with a gift card and let your wine-lovers choose their favorite wines! Let IWM make your gift giving a delight, and we promise not to tell if you can't help but choose something for your cellar too!
What You'll Find:
- Our Gift Guide highlights bottles we love, including single and paired bottles of sparkling wines, international wines, and Italian wines, all presented in rustic wooden casing.
- If you're feeling more expansive, our gift baskets of three or six wines, all handpicked by our portfolio managers, exude magnanimity; gifts of multiple bottles keep the holidays spirit alive into the new year.
- Our wine cases are the gifts you'd like to give yourself; these gorgeous sampler collections are the quintessential present for real aficionados, offering myriad peak experiences and memories to match!
- Let our portfolio managers help you customize holiday gifts for everyone on your list; from colleagues to family members, wine-lovers abound and IWM offers wines to fit every palate!
Holiday Gift Guide 2014 (online)
Holiday Gift Guide 2014 (PDF)
OUR EXPERTS SUGGEST
Born in the US, but raised in Italy, IWM President of Sales Will Di Nunzio fell in love with wine when his father opened a twenty-year-old Biondi-Santi Brunello for Will's twentieth birthday. Will has since turned his love into a career.
(Italy, Toscana - Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Syrah)
For the Cellar: Salvioni Cerbaiola 2009 Brunello di Montalcino
(Italy, Toscana - Sangiovese Grosso)
For complete descriptions of the wines and an explanation of why Will selected these wines, please visit our expert's post at Inside IWM.
ONLY AT IWM
BEST PRICE IN THE US!
In 2012, Gianfranco Soldera's cellar was vandalized, causing the renowned Brunello producer to lose the vast majority of the wine from his 2006-2012 harvests. In the intervening year, retailers and collectors have kept a cautious lid on their Soldera Brunello, making it yet more difficult to secure bottles of this maverick's extraordinary Brunello. Today, IWM is delighted to offer a new allocation of Case Basse di Soldera Pegasos 2005, a wine that Soldera made only once. Already rare, now this storied, serendipitous bottling has today grown even more lustrous. There's no time like the present to add Soldera to your wine collection, particularly since few, if any, bottles will be added to the global reserve. This allotment is very likely the last time that the collectable Pegasos will be available in the States, and IWM is proud to be able to offer it to our clients at the BEST PRICE in the country.
Why Buy This Wine:
- Gianfranco Soldera possesses a preternatural knowledge of his wine, and this knowledge allows him to make daring choices that lead to highly collectable wine-such is the case with his epic '79 Rosso or his soaring '05 Pegasos.
- Like the '79 Rosso, the Pegasos came about serendipitously; Soldera made it because the wine from one of his barrels mysteriously showed its early readiness to be bottled, and Soldera seized the moment to craft this mythical evocation.
- As with Soldera's heralded '79 Rosso, the '05 Pegasos is derived from the same vines as his Brunellos; however, because the Pegasos comes from older vines with a more limited yield than those used in the Rosso, and because it had a bit more time aging, Soldera believes that it will be superior to the '79 Rosso.
- Today, the wine is just beginning to enter into its drinking window, showing a silky, velvety body and the telltale Soldera finesse, terroir and uncanny knowledge.
- As you might suspect, this final allocation is severely limited; to secure this exceptional, collectable Montalcino wine, please contact your portfolio manager soon.
Case Basse di Soldera 2005 Pegasos
(Italy, Toscana - Sangiovese Grosso)
$229.00 Regular Price
$219.00 6-Pack Price/btl
$209.00 Case Price/btl
Saturday, December 27, 1-3 pm
A Sit-Down Tasting
Regular Price $100.00
Price Including Tax $108.86
Let the holidays ring on with this tasting event featuring Champagne, sparkling wines from Italy and Spain, and beloved IWM favorites of Barolo, Bolgheri, Burgundy, Bordeaux and Brunello. Accompanied by regional meats and artisanal cheeses and led by Certified Wine Educator Robin Kelley O'Connor, this Saturday tasting invokes the spirit of the holidays, while treating you to some of the best wines IWM has to offer. Raise glasses of Champagne from Billecart-Salmon and André Clouet, or sparkling wines from Barone Pizzini and Raventos, and enjoy bottlings from Humbert Freres, Renzo Seghesio, Grattamacco, Col d'Oricia, Château Rieussec--and more! Indulge in delicious wine, sparkling conversation, delectable treats, and all the warmth of this singular season with us at IWM. Drink in the present, and share this event with someone you love!
Featured Wine List:
Fantinel Brut Rosé NV
Barone Pizzini Brut Franciacorta
Raventós i Blanc Conca del Riu Anoia Brut Rosé de Nit 2012
André Clouet Cuvée 1911
Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé
Domaine Humbert Fréres Gevrey Chambertin Vieilles Vigne 2010
Renzo Seghesio Barolo Pajana Riserva 2006
Grattamacco Bolgheri Rosso Superiore 2008
Col d'Orcia Brunello di Montalcino 2007
Château Rieussec Sauternes 1er Cru 2010
For more information, please visit our website at Wine Events.