Today's Featured Offer:29-Year-Old Quintarelli Amarone, Wild Radikon Merlot, Classic Vintage Greats from Movia
November 20, 2014
A Note from Sergio
When most people think of Italian wine, they think of two regions first: Piemonte and its Barolos and Barbarescos, and Toscana and its Brunello, Chianti Classico and Super-Tuscan wines. If they think of the Veneto, it's usually a distant third, even though the famous wines Valpolicella and Amarone come from this area. Most wine-lovers, even serious ones, would be hard-pressed to put Friuli on the list at all. And yet the wines of Italy's North are ancient, steeped in tradition, bursting with iconoclastic producers, ripe with indigenous grapes, and filled with astonishing beauty.
Today, I'm very proud to offer four wonderful northern Italian wines, all vintage, all exceptional, each unique, and every one in stock and ready to ship. The first is a vintage Quintarelli Amarone Riserva. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but any one bottle of Giuseppe Quintarelli's wines defies description. To describe the experience of drinking Quintarelli is to engage in a pleasurable paradox. It's a beautiful, but impossible, challenge. This bottle has almost thirty years on it, and it is celestial. It might be the epitome of the holiday wine.
In Friuli, Stanislao, or Stanko to his friends, Radikon is a mystical winemaker cut along the same lines as Josko Gravner, whose wines we offered earlier this week. Like Gravner, Radikon's wines are organic, natural, singular expressions, and the magnum of 2000 Merlot I'm presenting today is a wine for those with adventuresome palates. If you think you've experienced all the Merlot has to offer, try this wine. It will shock, amaze and please you. It's not like any bottle you've ever had before!
And finally, I'm pleased to present a pair of "great" 1997 wines from my friend Ales Kristancic, the mad magician of Movia, whose biodynamic Brda estate straddles Italy's Friuli and Slovenia. The name of these two blends, Veliko Bianco and Veliko Rosso, both in magnum, means "big" or "great," and it's fitting. Large personalities need large bottles, and these magnums hold exuberant, magical bottlings that contain multitudes. Pour them at your holiday feast, and feel bewitched. Ales and his wines have that effect, and it is delicious.
Today's Featured Sections Include:
1. Spotlight on Excellence: The Ultimate Holiday Wine, Quintarelli 1985 Amarone Riserva
2. Time Sensitive Offer: Wild, Unusual, Extraordinary Radikon 2000 Merlot
3. Holiday Gift Guide: Celebrate the Holiday Season with the IWM Gift Guide!
4. Only At IWM: Vintage "Big" Wine from the Magician at Movia
5. Wine Events: Exploring Châteauneuf-du-Pape with Domaine de Beaurenard's Victor Coulon / Indigenous Italy - Mini Grand Tasting
SPOTLIGHT ON EXCELLENCE
Giuseppe Quintarelli stands as the Veneto's most significant producer, renowned for his mythical and cellar-worthy Amarone, Recioto, and Alzero. Quintarelli, who passed away in 2012, was an absolute traditionalist who never changed the techniques set by his father Silvio Quintarelli in the 1920s, and his wines forever changed the Veneto--and the world. Quintarelli was a man whose concept of vintage approval and strict grape selection rivals the great chateaux of Sauternes, and he patiently let his wines rest in large Slovenian oak casks until they finished their fermentations, only releasing his wines when he decided that it was time. The end result of this equation is wines unlike any other in the world.
Today, we're very proud to present a wine that appears on many wine aficionados' bucket lists: Giuseppe Quintarelli 1985 Amarone della Valpolicella Riserva. This impossible-to-find Amarone Riserva represents one of the great vintages of the last fifty years as interpreted by one of the world's greatest winemakers. Replete with rich red and blue fruit, potpourri, baking spices, and a texture that shimmers between velvety sweet fruit and grippy tannins, the '85 Quintarelli Amarone Riserva is an extraordinary wine, a feast for the senses and a fitting tribute to one of the world's greatest winemakers ever to have lived. A jewel in any collector's cellar, this '95 Amarone Riserva would make an extraordinary holiday gift.
While Quintarelli produces its Amarone only in exceptional vintages, the estate restricts its Amarone Riserva to very great vintages; this nearly thirty-year-old Amarone is now in the center of its drinking window. This collector's wine is primarily the indigenous Corvina blended with Rondinella and traces of Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebbiolo, Croatina, and Sangiovese. The velvety, kaleidoscopic '85 Riserva offers mind-bending complexity in its layers and layers of flavors and unrestrained voluptuousness; it's a hedonist's delight, a wine to be savored and meditated upon. It's also a wine whose like will probably never pass this way again. It's an extraordinary bottle that deserves a place in the cellars of extraordinary people.
Presented with perfect maturity and impeccable provenance, this Quintarelli 1985 Amarone della Valpolicella Riserva has years ahead of it yet. However long it may live, IWM's allocations of this collectable wine are very small. Please contact your portfolio manager to secure your bottlings today--these bottles are in stock, ready to ship, and perfect to give the most special wine-lover on your list.
(Italy, Veneto - Corvina, Rondinella, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo) $1,499.00 Regular Price
TIME SENSITIVE OFFER
BEST PRICE IN THE US!
Friuli's Stanislao (Stanko) Radikon pursues a deceptively simple philosophy: the production of wholly natural wine and devotion to the grape and the grape alone. His techniques reflect the style typical of the heartland of Friuli: extended maceration periods, large oak barrels, and manual harvesting. Radikon's approach, however, is best known by what it rejects: chemical pesticides, the addition of sulfites or yeasts, and temperature-controlled fermentation. Today, we're delighted to present a Merlot that could only come from the hands of this iconoclastic master. This organically grown vintage Merlot dates from Radikon's transitional period when he was moving from adding sulfur to his wines to not using any; therefore, the wine is minimally sulfured, adding to the wine's character and evolution in the glass. Wine-lovers whose palates enjoy wines that trod on the wild side will love this wine with abandon, best of all, this magnum bottling is presented at the BEST PRICE in the States.
Why Buy This Wine:
- This Italian Merlot offers a more rustic and wild interpretation of the great grape by the inspiring and controversial winemaker Stanislao Radikon, one of Italy's foremost natural winemakers.
- This wine reflects Radikon's shift in protocol that ceased to add sulfur, and the '00 Merlot offers an earthy, constantly evolving expression with ripe fruit, minerality and sauvage aroma.
- Following an entirely non-interventionist approach, Radikon coaxes the most out of his grapes, and he continues his natural philosophies into the cellar to make wines that are intense and unique.
- We are offering this Radikon one-liter bottling, 14-year-old pure Merlot at the BEST PRICE in the country; difficult to find anywhere else, this wine comes to you with pristine provenance and perfect maturity.
- Radikon produced very little of this 2000 Merlot, and only a handful of merchants are able to offer this wine, but IWM's close relationship with Radikon allows us special access.
Radikon 2000 Merlot (1L)
(Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Merlot)
$199.00 Regular Price
$119.40 Special Price/btl
This offer is available 48 hrs and will expire on November 22nd at 5:00 pm EST.
HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE
Order Your Holiday Gifts Today
It's the most wonderful time of the year, holiday season, and to celebrate it in style, we're delighted to present the IWM 2014 Holiday Gift Guide! Whether you're looking to give your beloved wine-lovers treasured single bottles, thrilling bottle pairs, tasty triples, sumptuous half cases or expansive full collections, this Gift Guide will help you make this 2014 holiday season memorable--and delicious. In this Gift Guide, available both online and as a PDF to download, you'll find a wine for every feast, party, and quiet meal, as well as for all wine-lovers, from newbie to connoisseur. But don't hesitate to ask one of our portfolio managers for help if you need it--or go with a gift card and let your wine-lovers choose their favorite wines! Let IWM make your gift giving a delight, and we promise not to tell if you can't help but choose something for your cellar too!
What You'll Find:
- Our Gift Guide highlights bottles we love, including single and paired bottles of sparkling wines, international wines, and Italian wines, all presented in rustic wooden casing.
- If you're feeling more expansive, our gift baskets of three or six wines, all handpicked by our portfolio managers, exude magnanimity; gifts of multiple bottles keep the holidays spirit alive into the new year.
- Our wine cases are the gifts you'd like to give yourself; these gorgeous sampler collections are the quintessential present for real aficionados, offering myriad peak experiences and memories to match!
- Let our portfolio managers help you customize holiday gifts for everyone on your list; from colleagues to family members, wine-lovers abound and IWM offers wines to fit every palate!
Holiday Gift Guide 2014 (online)
Holiday Gift Guide 2014 (PDF)
ONLY AT IWM
BEST PRICE IN THE US!
Straddling the border between Slovenia and Friuli, Movia has been producing wine for more than three centuries; purchased by the Kristancic family in 1820, the estate's current owner is the gleefully eclectic Ales Kristancic. Guided by the movement of the planets and the stars, Ales pursues a historically minded, yet radical, approach to winemaking that includes biodynamic viticulture, aging of the whites in 600-liter Slovenian oak casks or traditional Slovenian barriques (smaller than French barriques), and leaving them on the lees without stirring for more than two years. His approach to the reds is no less novel, with aging period that spans a period of three to seven years in small Slovenian oak casks. Movia's collection of biodynamic and organic protocol constitutes a wholly natural approach that creates brilliant, vital, and magical wines. Today, we're delighted to present two mature Movia bottlings, both in magnum, and both at the BEST PRICE in the country!
Why Buy This Wine:
- Larger than life, a magnum of wine is meant to share, exuding magnanimity, spirit and joy; when you're talking about a magnum of Movia Veliko, a name that translates from Slovenian to mean "big," you've got a large-format bottle of an exciting wine.
- The deep gold color of the Veliko Bianco alerts you to its richness, and its creamy, complex palate complements its hue; likewise, the Veliko Rosso packs an elegant, powerful punch in its taut body.
- An intriguing blend of Merlot, Pinot Nero and Cabernet, Veliko Rosso strides the line between being big and being graceful, offering dark fruits, fresh-cut herbs and evergreen, a dash of spice, and thrilling tertiary notes of earth, leather, and cigar wrapper complete the experience.
- A delicious, round wine with structure for years, stunning aromatics, and a gorgeous acidity, the Veliko Bianco, a blend of Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc and Ribolla, is buried underground in a cask for over a year; the Veliko possesses a seductive oxidation that has mellowed into a caressing mouth-feel with the wine's almost two decades of maturity.
- Wild, lively, energetic and elegant, these Movia wines reflect the magical moves of their maker, Ales Kristancic; presented in magnum with almost two decades of perfect maturity, these wines will add life to your holiday gatherings!
(Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Merlot, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon)
$119.99 Regular Price
(Slovenia, Brda - Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Ribolla)
$119.99 Regular Price
*Pre-Arrival, December 2014
Saturday, November 22, 1-3 pm
Price Including Tax $136.09
An old, traditional Southern Rhône house, Domaine de Beaurenard plays home to the "symphony of 13 varieties" that's the very heart of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Join IWM as we host a special Saturday tasting with the owner of Beaurenard, Victor Coulon. Led by Certified Wine Educator Robin Kelley O'Connor, this tasting will showcase a selection of the Coulon family wines including two white Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, a Rasteau, and five Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge bottlings, including three vintages of the rare limited production Cuvée Boisrenard. Let the winemaker himself explain his classic blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, and Cinsault, and what the tiny percentages of other grapes add to the mix, all while Robin Kelley O'Connor offers an overview of the unique terroir of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and puts this biodynamic vineyard within a larger context of Châteauneuf-du-Pape's history. It's a unique event that true Châteauneuf-du-Pape connoisseurs shouldn't miss, and it's only available at IWM.
Featured Wine List:
Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc, Domaine de Beaurenard 2012
Rasteau, Domaine de Beaurenard 2011
Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge, Domaine de Beaurenard 2012
Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge, Domaine de Beaurenard 2011
Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge, Domaine de Beaurenard 2010
Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge, Cuvée Boisrenard 2012
Châteauneuf du Pape Rouge, Cuvée Boisrenard 2011Châteauneuf du Pape Blanc, Cuvée Boisrenard 2011
To reserve your seat for this tasting, please Click Here
Saturday, November 29, 1-3 pm
Price Including Tax $81.66
From the top of the boot to the tip of its heel, Italy has more than 2,000 different indigenous grapes, the most of any country in the world (though Portugal may beg to differ). Join us as our knowledgeable IWM sommeliers lead you through a tour of ten of the most emblematic, delicious, and outrageous expressions. We'll be pouring wines from Italy's North--a thrilling Prosecco to kick things off, and a delicious Valpolicella Ripasso--to Italy's South--a stunning red from the Amalfi Coast--and many points in between. Enjoy an opulent organic Brunello from Cupano, a traditional and artisanal Barolo, a stunning expression of the world's most tannic grape from iconic Paolo Bea, as well as a limited production Verdicchio, a great Barbera from Aldo Conterno, and terrific Dolcetto from the master, Quinto Chionetti. Accompanied by regional meats and cheeses, it's the most delicious education in authentic wine that you can get outside of Italy, and it's available only at IWM, the world's leading authority in Italian wine.
Featured Wine List:
Cima da Conegliano Prosecco Extra Dry NV
Sartarelli Verdicchio Tralivio 2011
Raffaele Palma Puntacroce 2011
Quinto Chionetti San Luigi Dolcetto di Dogliani 2010
Nicolis Valpolicella Superiore Seccal 2011
Poderi Aldo Conterno Conca Tre Pile Barbera d'Alba 2011
Raffaele Palma Montecorvo 2011Paolo Bea Sagrantino Secco Vigneto Cerrete 2007
Cupano Brunello di Montalcino 2008
Renzo Seghesio Barolo 2007