Today's Featured Offer:Extraordinary $24 Valpolicella, Rare Vintage Montevertine, and IWM's 2014 Holiday Gift Guide!OUR EXPERTS SUGGEST
October 30, 2014
A Note from Sergio
This has been a week of extraordinary offers and amazing wines. We launched with a debut of Gravner's astounding 2006 Breg and Ribolla Anfora; we followed up with an unparalleled list of Gaja in large format bottles; and yesterday we presented two of Giacomo Conterno's exceptional new releases, the estate's 2010 Barolo Francia and 2012 Barbera Francia. It's only right to close this week on a high note.
Today I'm very pleased to present three different offers, and each could hold the spotlight position. First, I'm excited to introduce you to your new go-to red, a $24 Valpolicella from family-owned-and-operated Nicolis. This estate always gives a tremendous bang for the buck, but this wine ups the volume--it's a classic ripassoValpolicella and it drinks like a dream. Next, I'm thrilled to present the 2014 Holiday Gift Guide, and with its introduction, I'm delighted to give you special pricing for the next week. And finally, I'm proud to present a list of impossible-to-find large format Montevertine.
It's a great week, and it's ending with no tricks--only treats!
Today's Featured Sections Include:
1. Spotlight on Excellence: Meet Your Go-To Red, Nicolis Valpolicella Superiore Seccal 2011
2. Time Sensitive Offer: The 2014 Holiday Gift Guide!
3. Our Experts Suggest: The Best of the Best, 1996 Barolo and Barbaresco
4. Only At IWM: Rare, Collectable Vintage Large Format Montevertine
5. Wine Events:
Bordeaux Grand Cru Classé / Winemaker Dinner: Alessia Antinori Presents Fiorano
SPOTLIGHT ON EXCELLENCE
While most of our clients connect Amarone and Valpolicella wines to the icons of the Veneto, Romano Dal Forno and his mentor the great Giuseppe Quintarelli, and to the price tags that these producers rightfully command, IWM has found alternatives. Today, we're proud to present Valpolicella Superiore Seccal 2011 from Nicolis, a family-owned-and-operated producer. This shockingly delicious, absolutely authentic and extremely affordable wine bridges the gap between easy-drinking Valpolicella and the more commanding Amarone--and priced at under $25, it might be your new favorite go-to red!
Valpolicella is the Veneto's calling card, and Amarone is its luxury item. While Valpolicella is a relatively straightforward and simple wine to make, Amarone requires producers to use the appassimento method, whereby they partially dry the grapes on straw mats before pressing. Between these two wines sits a Valpolicella made with the ripasso technique, which is precisely way that Nicolis makes the wine we offer today. This lush Valpolicella gets its extra oomph from re-fermenting with the skins of the grapes used for Nicolis' Amarone and Recioto wines, a technique that adds extract, color, flavor, density, and a touch of alcohol. Aged in botti for 16 months before being bottled, this wine is a perfect accompaniment to hearty fall and winter fare.
With limited acreage under production, this small-scale winemaker is situated in the heart of the Veneto's Valpolicella's Classico district. While the Nicolis family has cultivated its 87 acres for generations, they only began marketing the wine in 1951. The winery currently operates under the enterprising intuition of Natalia Nicolis and her three sons who are all trained in enology and business management and who work closely together to conduct most of the winery activities. While IWM loves Nicolis for its stylish, affordable Amarone and delicious Valpolicella, the velvety, caressing Valpolicella Superiore Seccal has stolen our hearts.
A full-bodied, full-throttle Valpolicella that whooshes across the palate like a swath of liquid silk, this '11 offers notes of espresso, black cherry, earth, exotic spices and chocolate. A strong contender for one of IWM's favorite wines at its price point, the Nicolis Valpolicella Superiore Seccal is a wine that will make your roasts, game, hard cheeses and stews sing. It's a beautiful wine for a long winter's night, and priced at under $25 a bottle, this bottle gives you every reason to enjoy it early and often.
(Italy, Veneto - Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara, Croatina) $24.99 Regular Price
TIME SENSITIVE OFFER
The holidays are IWM's favorite time of the year. The giving, the getting, the eating and, above all, the sharing of great wine with the important people in our lives make this the happiest season of all. We're delighted to present our 2014 Holiday Gift Guide, a handpicked assortment of IWM client favorites as well as new bottlings and collections for you to explore. It's never too early to share the cheer and to feel the love of the holiday season! In this Gift Guide, available as a PDF to download, you'll find a wine for every feast, party, and quiet meal. There's the perfect bottle for an enthusiast, the consummate case for a collector, and dozens of special gifts for your friends, associates, and family. But don't hesitate to ask one of our portfolio managers for help, if you need it--or simply purchase a gift card and let your favorite wine-lovers choose their favorite wines!
What You'll Find:
- Our Gift Guide highlights bottles we love, including single and paired bottles of sparkling wines, international wines, and Italian wines, all presented in rustic wooden casing.
- If you're feeling more expansive, our gift baskets of three or six wines, all handpicked by our portfolio managers, exude magnanimity; gifts of multiple bottles keep the holidays spirit alive into the new year.
- Our wine cases are the gifts you'd like to give yourself; these gorgeous sampler collections are the quintessential present for real aficionados, offering myriad peak experiences and memories to match!
- Early holiday shopping has its benefits: receive 20% off all orders placed by 5 November 2014!
- Let our portfolio managers help you customize holiday gifts for everyone on your list; from colleagues to family members, wine-lovers abound and IWM offers wines to fit every palate!
This offer is available until November 5th at 5:00 pm EST.
Francesco Vigorito fell in love with a 1998 Ornellaia at his high school graduation. After living in Florence, Italy, and getting his Sommelier Certification with the Court of Master Sommeliers in the UK, Francesco came to IWM as a Portfolio Manager.
Drinking Today: Bruno Giacosa 1996 Barolo Falletto Riserva (Red Label)
(Italy, Piemonte - Nebbiolo)
(Italy, Piemonte - Nebbiolo)
For complete descriptions of the wines and an explanation of why Francesco selected these wines, please visit our expert's post at Inside IWM
ONLY AT IWM
BEST PRICE IN THE US!
Today, IWM is proud to offer a range of rare, collectable large format bottlings from Montevertine--both the estate's legendary Le Pergole Torte and the exceedingly rare L'Ottantanove di Sergio Manetti. The energy and the passion of Sergio Manetti redefined the Super-Tuscan revolution when he shifted the focus to his love, Toscana. Displeased with the way that other producers added "vitigni migliorativi," grapes like Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Cabernet Franc, to Sangiovese in an attempt to produce a more "international" wine with broader appeal, Manetti became a Sangiovese purist. He debuted his mono-varietal Sangiovese Le Pergole Torte in 1977 and left the Chianti Consorzio in 1981; the rest is history. Today's offer comprises eight vintages of wines that Sergio made before his passing in 2000, including the rare L'Ottantanove di Sergio Manetti bottlings. Many of these bottlings are unavailable anywhere else in the world; they are rare, profound pieces of viticultural history, all in large format bottles ideal for the serious collector.
Why Buy This Wine:
- Alongside Soldera Brunello di Montalcino Riserva and Fontodi Flaccianello, IWM believes Le Pergole Torte to be the greatest expression of Sangiovese produced, capturing a Burgundian finessed profile of the noble varietal with the ability to age more than thirty years in a classic vintage.
- Working closely with esteemed consulting enologist Giulio Gambelli to make collectable fine wines, Sergio Manetti transformed the international wine world's understanding of Toscana's most emblematic grape, Sangiovese; these rare large bottlings represent the pinnacle expressions of this partnership.
- In addition to multiple large format bottlings of Le Pergole Torte, IWM is proud to present Sergio Manetti's single-vineyard Sangiovese bottlings, L'Ottantanove di Sergio Manetti; you cannot find these bottles anywhere but the estate itself and IWM.
- The best way understand the mono-varietal Le Pergole Torte is with ten to twenty years maturity, when the tannins have softened; few wines can provide the complexity and spectrum of nuances that come from the Tuscan soil and its Sangiovese: black cherry, autumn leaves, leather, cocoa, coffee, tobacco, and cedar.
- It's almost impossible to find this large format bottlings of Le Pergole Torte, and today's offering includes magnums, double magnums and the exceedingly rare Imperial and Balthazar formats, all rare, historic and collectable bottlings.
- Please contact your portfolio manager to secure your collectable Montevertine today; our allocations are extremely limited.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 7-10pm
Regular Price: $225
Price Including Tax $244.97
Hosted by: ALESSIA ANTINORI
It's a wine event that is decades in the making, featuring wines so rare they're simply unavailable anywhere else! Join IWM as we host Alessia Antinori, winemaker and daughter of Marchese Piero Antinori, for a special five-course dinner featuring the extraordinary wines of Tenuta di Fiorano, an estate with a long, storied past and a history of making some of Italy's most important, most collectable wines. In 1995, Prince Alberico Boncompagni Ludovisi, Alessia's grandfather, made his last vintage at Fiorano, pulling up all the vines except for a few rows of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and some white grape vines left on a caretaker's property. After inheriting a portion of the Prince's land following his death in 2005, Alessia took on the project of nursing these vines back to health, intent on making wine as her grandfather did--organically and with minimal intervention. This unique evening will present old vintages of Fiorano, both its fabled whites and its excruciatingly rare Rosso, as well as offer a taste of Alessia's new bottlings from the restored vineyards of Fiorano. It's a unique, extraordinary opportunity to experience Italian winemaking history with the winemaker herself, and it's only available at IWM, the world's leading authority in Italian wine.
Featuring a rare selection of reds and whites from this magnificent estate.
Featured Menu & Wine List:
Assorted Salumi & Artisanal Cheeses
Antinori Mantenisa Albiera Allegra Alessia Franciacorta Rosé NV
Antipasti Misti: Root Vegetables with Lobster Roe Bagna Cauda, Arancini, Panelle di Ceci
Fiorano Bianco 1992
Fiorano Bianco 1993
Fish: Branzino with Smoked Razor Clams & Fennel
Fiorano Sémillon 1994
Fiorano Sémillon 1995
Pasta: Veal Agnolotti (Chestnut flour)
Fiorano Rosso 2010
Meat: Rack of Lamb (milk-fed)
Fiorano Rosso 1993
Dolci: Petit Fours, Young goats-milk cheese
Fiorano Sémillon 1988
For more information, please visit our website at Wine Events
Saturday, November 1, 2014, 1-3 pm
Regular Price $125.00
Price Including Tax $136.09
It's a first in IWM's history, a tasting event featuring Bordeaux wines from the Grand Cru Classé Château Lagrange and its celebrated winemaker Mattieu Bordes. This special presentation will feature a vertical of the iconic Third Growth spanning more than three decades of perfectly aged wines brought in directly from the cellars of Saint-Julien. Mattieu will take guests on an exciting journey of the region and of the Château. His intimate presentation will uncover the estate's humble beginnings in the Middle Ages; a climb into prominence in the eighteenth century, when the estate's claret grabbed the attention of both America's wine ambassador Thomas Jefferson and nobles alike; the triumph over the difficult years of phylloxera and war; and its present-day status as the largest Grand Cru Classé in the Medoc. Hosted by Certified Wine Educator and IWM's Bordeaux authority Robin Kelley O'Connor, this sit-down tasting, accompanied by regional meats and cheeses, gives a grand salute to one of Bordeaux's legendary châteaux and one of the region's most dedicated winemakers. Join us to meet the man behind Château Lagrange, Mattieu Bordes, enjoy these extraordinary wines, and deepen your appreciation of Bordeaux!
Featured Wine List:
Les Arums de Lagrange Bordeaux Blanc Sec 2012
Les Fiefs De Lagrange 2010 Saint-Julien Second Vin Du Château Lagrange
Les Fiefs De Lagrange 2002 Saint-Julien Second Vin Du Château Lagrange
Les Fiefs De Lagrange 1999 Saint-Julien Second Vin Du Château Lagrange
Château Lagrange 2010 Saint-Julien Grand Cru Classé En 1855
Château Lagrange 2006 Saint-Julien Grand Cru Classé En 1855
Château Lagrange 2003 Saint-Julien Grand Cru Classé En 1855
Château Lagrange 1999 Saint-Julien Grand Cru Classé En 1855
Château Lagrange 1995 Saint-Julien Grand Cru Classé En 1855
For more information, please visit our website at Wine Events.